Saturday, April 24, 2010

Adventures in Parenting...


...that's what it is. An adventure. Like a roller-coaster. Edyn (the same child who ate almost all the pieces to an operation game as an infant when her sisters left it out and the one who stuck macaroni all the way up her nose) decided to swallow a penny Thursday night. I was not home and did not witness this, but got confirmation from Jared, her sisters and 2 sets of neighbors that she swallowed it. She was fine all day yesterday, but no BM. She woke up this morning and kept saying she "had to go poopy" but she would just sit there and cry, saying her butt hurt. This was after giving her stool softener for 24 hours. After talking with my neighbor (whose children have swallowed coins and said swallowing a penny is the worst because the zinc can burn the esophagus), I panicked and off we went to urgent care, so guilt-stricken, thinking I was the worst mom for not taking her in sooner (and by the way, Jared is gone ALL day in a golf tourney and I can't get a hold of him on the golf course!) Thankfully urgent care wasn't busy. I paid our co-pay and once we got back to the room to see the doctor, Edyn said "I need go poopy REALLY bad". So she went...and went. The stool softener kicked in. After convincing Edyn that it was Okay to not flush this one time, I went and told the doctor. I'm sure you can guess what I got to do! Yep, I got to fish her poop out of the toilet...(once again, thankful for gloves!!) There I am in the urgent care bathroom WITH the doctor and Edyn, fishing it out! But good thing when I put the first pile in a little cup, we heard a clanking noise and sure enough, we looked and saw the infamous penny! Edyn was still dancing in circles, chanting, "I went poopy, I went poopy!!" I'm glad we gave the nurses and Dr. such a laugh and I'm so thankful she is fine and I was able to laugh at it as well. And the office was so great...they even refunded our co-pay! I was still willing to pay because I'm SURE if we would not have gone to urgent care, she wouldn't have passed this penny!
And so she continues to keep us on our toes...

Thank you Jodi and Victor for watching the girls for me! It was SO helpful...we are so blessed to have such wonderful neighbors like you!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Ahhh parenting.... I'm glad everything turned out okay.


It's kind of ironic that Estee Lauder is the advertisement to the right on your blog. Arbonne all the way :)

jade, trish, halle and will said...

It is funny how things can be so so funny AFTER they are over :) So glad she is fine!! Love you guys!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Yay! I saw on facebook that you have a blog. I am addicted to blogging - so I always get excited when I see some one else I know has a blog. :)
I was like dying of laughter on this one... wow. :) You are a great mom. Good times!
Your girls are adorable. :)

Mellissa said...

I just love reading your blog Krista. I find it so inspirational, thanks for doing it. I just pulled it up actually to re-read the part about the macaroni trick- I can see this happening to one of ours and figured I'd better "review", lol. Hope your feeling well and thinking of you all, Mellissa