Friday, April 22, 2011

Grace.

There are so many days I have as a mom that are a big FAIL. I'm thankful for the days I get to go to work outside the home because I feel more competent and confident there than I ever do as I parent four girls. I fall short on so many levels. But I continue to draw strength from Jesus and rest in His grace and remind myself that His strength is made perfect in my weakness. He has revealed that to me over and over.
I seriously don't know where time goes. I had a freak-out moment yesterday when I realized it was Easter on Sunday. I hadn't even taken the time to go through the Ressurrection Eggs with the girls (*gasp*) like we have done in years past here and here. I could blame it on the fact that I can't find all the pieces because the girls have played with them so much and have lost a piece here and there along the way. Or I could blame it on the fact that I am incredibly distracted and just trying to keep up with the "dailies" that I brush it off until later, then later becomes too late. So...in my "moment", I stopped by the Christian book store on my way home from work and grabbed another set.
As I went through the eggs with the girls, I had to fight back the tears of joy because they kept interrupting me and were able to tell the entire Easter story as we went through the eggs. And with much more detail than I was about to give. Another reminder to me that God is SO much bigger than my forgetful, unorganized mind. And a reminder of why it is so important to talk about Jesus and this amazing truth of his death and resurrection not just around the Easter holiday but ALL THE TIME.
This is a verse I pray over our family often...
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and will all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates." Deuteronomy 6: 5-9


Thank you Jesus for your grace.




The traditional coloring of the eggs...




...and making sugar cookies.  And I MUST share this EASY recipe that makes soft, amazing sugar cookies.  A confetti cake mix, a stick of butter (softened) and 1 egg.  That's it.  So easy for this busy mom.


But when this busy mom is preoccupied coloring eggs and making cookies, this busy baby is under her high chair eating the food that she dropped from breakfast...hey at least she gets fed, right?


And the house remains in this condition....


A wise wise mother of four once told me, "You just need a sign on your door that reads, Excuse the mess, I'm busy making memories with my children"....that was definitely the sign on the door of my heart today.

No comments: